Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Building a Camera Dolly

  1. #1
    Inactive Member lgay's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2002
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Could someone please help me!

    I wish to build a camera dolly myself so I can get some smooth tracking shots with my camera. Are there any Web Sites which show how to build a dolly? Failing this, are there any good books on the subject?

    Any information would be appreciated.

    Regards,
    Lee

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ThomasB's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2000
    Posts
    171
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I made a small dolly for INT. shots last weekend. I used material from the local do-it-yourself store (costs: 15?) and built it in about 20 minutes time.

    If you want to hear more about it, just email me.

    ------------------
    ThomasB
    http://www.biennavista.com

  3. #3
    Inactive Member twister!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2001
    Posts
    1,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can you share it with us all please Thomas.

    How about the old wheelchair gig - and get somebody to push you along?

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member Mr Blackstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2001
    Posts
    73
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I made a dolly using just a platform made from pallets on a track of plumbing tubing, works really well!

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Inactive Member ThomasB's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2000
    Posts
    171
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll make some photos and let you know the url.

    ------------------
    ThomasB
    http://www.biennavista.com

  6. #6
    Inactive Member eggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 5th, 2001
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    http://www.pathcom.com/~bpaton/skateboard.html

    That's what I'm building tomorrow, hope it helps!

    ------------------
    I am a filmmaker! Behold my awesome power of being in debt!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ThomasB's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2000
    Posts
    171
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    www.barisi.com/dolly

    Very simple, but it works fine for me.

    ------------------
    ThomasB
    http://www.biennavista.com

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So basically a box with wheels, hmm shouldn't be too hard. Cheers Thomas smile

    Oh, what about when it comes to rails?

    For example, I couldn't use your dolly with my outside shots, I'd need rails.

    What then?

    :/
    Mods

    ------------------
    Mark "Mods" Lovegrove

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh i just saw the skateboard thing. That's given me some ideas. I don't like the way the wheels are in a V shape, where an L shape would work better.

    This dolly doesnt turn corners tho, obviously biggrin

    Mods

    ------------------
    Mark "Mods" Lovegrove

  10. #10
    Inactive Member ThomasB's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2000
    Posts
    171
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    > what about when it comes to rails?

    That's the next thing I'll build and this one's gonna be really interesting, because I'd like to have at least 6 meters of rails.




    ------------------
    ThomasB
    http://www.biennavista.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •